An angler's journal

An angler's journal

Wednesday 15 January 2020

Happy New Year - A Pike PB

It was New Year's Eve and I was long overdue a pike or two. The rivers had been carrying extra water since October and windows of opportunity had been far too slim. I had however had my eyes on a new stretch of the Avon that I felt might throw up a decent fish so I hit the banks at first light.

The obvious spot was actually quite snaggy and after an hour I'd seen very little to give me confidence. I reeled in and went exploring. It broke the morning up a little and allowed me to search out some potential new spots. An opening in the trees revealed a swim that had to be worth a cast so I walked back to my gear, collected the essentials and dropped a sardine a rod length from the bank. The bait had barely been in the water for 2 minutes when the float started to tremble as a pike picked up the bait. The float sailed away and I was into a solid fish that stayed deep and performed some powerful runs. It was however safely netted and unhooked and it was obvious a very nice fish lay in the net. The scales showed 18lb 9oz which was a new best for me from the river. The search for that Avon twenty goes on but this was a great way to sign off 2019.



4 comments:

  1. Lovely fish Lee, congrats on the p.b. I’m in the same boat with river conditions, it’s wearing a bit thin !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Darren. Rivers are back up again :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Superb Lee, congratulations ont personal best, certainly a fish to be proud of! Tight lines for 2020!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers James, no doubt 2020 will see you bag a few decent fish.

      Delete