An angler's journal

An angler's journal

Monday 7 October 2019

Rising river rewards

A rising Warks Avon has always puzzled me. I've had some really great sessions and some that promised much yet delivered nothing. For me personally, a river fining down has always filled me with more confidence. This time last week, the heavens had opened and the river was on the up. Tuesday evening gave me a chance to venture out. I almost didn't. The river was still rising and for the aforementioned reasons I wasn't overly keen. Nothing ventured, nothing gained however so I set off with rain still falling and sporadic gusts of wind.

These conditions leave many anglers bamboozled, a fact borne out by me being the only visitor. Where to fish? How to fish? This is where familiarity scores highly. It's ever so easy to cast into an area that looks the part only to find your rig has dropped into a reed bed, a hidden tree or some other obstruction hidden by the increased water levels. In contrast, fishing a stretch you know means you can cast with relative confidence. There's a number of stretches on the river that I have pretty well memorised for days like this.

A fantastic result
Two rods were cast. Both with a cage feeder filled with dampened pellets. This method means a scent trail is dispersed and the pellets stay in the feeder for up to an hour. The upstream rod was baited with a pellet (a bait that had scored two 8lb barbel the week before) with the downstream rod baited with a lump of luncheon meat. Usually, I'd be relative mobile in these conditions especially if I'd not received any indications after 30 minutes or so.  That said, the weather was pretty grim and with not too many swims offering options I decided to sit it out. I did try my umbrella but the wind was so powerful it was a waste of
time so I sat braving the conditions. It was about 6pm when the meat rod lurched round completely out of the blue. It caught me by surprise as I'd resigned myself to a likely blank. The fish kept low and used the extra current to its advantage meaning it barely budged initially. It then went on a run but I wrestled control back when it then became stuck in what I know is a small bed of reeds. For a minute or so it was stalemate. But pressure told and it began moving again before it surfaced for the first time. A great looking barbel emerged. I'd had to move downstream to remain in charge so the fish was eventually netted about 20 yards from swim. The net revealed an obvious double. It weighed 11lb 6oz and was a great result. It was to be the only fish of the session but what a fish.

I did return 48 hours later on a falling river in what looked like my favoured conditions. I didn't get so much as a tap so it just goes to show what I know!

3 comments:

  1. Top angling , the avon in flood has always had me discombobulated

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cracking effort Lee. Interesting approach too

    ReplyDelete