An angler's journal

An angler's journal

Monday 10 June 2013

Q & A with Stewart Bloor

With the river season fast approaching my final interview is with serial blogger, Stewart Bloor. Stewart is probably the most established angling blogger on the net so it was great to be able to find out a little more.

1) What is your earliest fishing memory?


The humble gudgeon: Stewart's first catch
I have several fishing-related memories, from when I was a kid, floating around but I'm not sure which one chronologically is the first. However, around that time, I will never forget my first fish. A gudgeon from the Staffs/Worcs Canal at the Bratch in Wombourne, I can take you to the exact place I caught it. I've got loads of great memories, but that's the greatest. 


Stewart's favourite species: the perch
2) You're famed for being an angling all-rounder but is there any particular species that stands out for you and why? 

As an all-rounder, in many ways my favourite species is whatever I'm fishing for at that time. But if I had to declare one that has a special affection in my heart it would be the perch. As for why I can't give a definitive answer. I just love them. My favourite sea species is the dab and I target them, even travelling to Talacre in North Wales to fish for them. I love flat fish and have a fondness for the smallest of the group. 

3) If you could take only one bait fishing what would it be and why? 

As someone that fishes for all species, then it would have to be something that has a chance of catching as many different types as possible, and certainly in terms of quality. So if I could only fish with one bait for the rest of my life it would have to be lobworm. 

4)You seem to go fishing very often, indeed earlier this year you were attempting to fish every day. How do you juggle your passion for angling with your other commitments?

I'm highly motivated! My philosophy for life is that this isn't a dress rehearsal, this is the real thing. Live life to the full and milk it! On a practical level I tick all the right boxes: mortgage paid, an understanding wife who has never stood in the way of my fishing, children who are now adults and finally, I’m fortunate to have a very flexible working lifestyle.

5) You've been blogging for about a decade now [here]. Are you surprised at the success of your angling diary and what do you think makes your site so popular? 

Fortunately, Stewart's blog is more successful than his beloved Wolves
I've got used to the 'success' of my website now but in the early days was quite surprised when people would recognise me when out fishing. Now it happens all the while and not just by the water's edge either but when I'm out and about. Across the board (videos, articles) I get five-figure views every month, so I guess 'recognition' is just a natural consequence. I guess one of the main reasons is that I've been consistent in updates - every Saturday for almost 10 years.

6) What does the rest of 2013 have in store for you? 

My 'ambition' for the rest of the year, as indeed always has been and will be, is to enjoy my angling. I tend to be a well organised person and that of course influences my fishing. So whilst I do make plans and set targets, the umbrella over everything I do is to enjoy it. I'm blessed in the sense that I've still got an incredible passion for angling. I'm like the proverbial kid on Christmas Eve when I go to bed the night before a session.

7) We are constantly being told that our rivers are under attack from otters, water abstraction, cormorants, crayfish and poachers. What's your opinion on the current state of river angling? 

Without doubt the aforementioned will have some effect upon all venues, not just rivers. The debate is how much of a detrimental effect. I tend to take an objective view of these things as opposed to many anglers who are totally subjective. I think it's important to bear in mind that we are all ambassadors for our sport and need to choose our words carefully.As for the state of the rivers, that depends who you talk to! Personally I think you could argue a case for 'bad' or for 'good'. You could say that roach have declined on River X but that the barbel fishing is now out of this world. I just tend to see the big picture that's all and recognise that even naturally there will be ebbs and flows in where an individual river is at.


This marks an end to my interviews, for now at least. I hope you've found them enjoyable throughout the close season and perhaps I'll have some more if I get positive feedback. Whilst you're visiting, please take the time to take a look around my other posts and I always appreciate comments and new members. Thanks for reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment