An angler's journal

An angler's journal

Sunday 10 December 2017

A PB chub lifts spirits

The changeable weather over the last few weeks had coincided with three straight blanks. I'd set myself a little challenge this season of catching a barbel in each month of the river season. So far, so good but December's deep freeze and a lack of daytime fishing opportunities meant that it was starting to look unlikely. Last week saw a brief lift in temperatures before the next wave of freezing weather arrived.

It was already dark when I left the house and a late change in mind with my chosen venue saw me on the banks of the Warks Avon by around 6pm. The river was around 7°C, which was a rise on the previous week so it meant something ought to bite. I had only taken one rod as I aimed to be mobile
if required. A chunk of meat was cast mid-river. After a quiet 20 minutes it became apparent that the chub would be the most likely species. The tell tale knocks and grabs began, none of them enough to warrant a strike. Something was definitely interested and the pulls continued for a good 15 minutes. I remained patient. Striking too early would most probably end in failure and see the opportunity lost. Eventually a positive pull that kept going saw me strike into a nice fish. I've had some decent chub from the stretch throughout the season with a few big four pounders but the chub that lay in the net before me was no four pounder. A broad shouldered chub sent the scales to 5lb 7oz and was a new personal best for me and a cracking result for a December evening.

As I sit writing this, the countryside is white over. It looks like it could be a tough week or so as Christmas approaches. Hopefully, there's still time to manage a few more fish before the year is out. Good luck if you're planning a trip.

4 comments:

  1. Well done Lee,sometimes the best fish come when you least expect them.I don't think the Avon chub,in my experience anyway get much bigger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers. Would agree, loads of 3 to 4 pounders. A six would be the fish of lifetime from the Avon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic Lee, you know how much I would like one of those....

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're only ever one bite away Mick.

    ReplyDelete