An angler's journal

An angler's journal

Tuesday 1 October 2013

September over, what next?

It has been a while since I last posted and with good reason, I've not had much to write about. September seems to have flown by and as far as fishing has been concerned it has been rather disappointing on a couple of fronts. Firstly, I've not managed to get out as often as I would have liked and secondly, the fishing as only been a notch or two above dire.

A misty evening on the Avon
I have seen a dedicated deadbait session for Pike on the Warks Avon abandoned mid-session in favour of a move to the lower Severn. The result, one 3lb zander. I have had three attempts at netting a barbel yielding two small chub and two minnows. Barbel have been conspicuous by their absence despite one of these sessions being on the so called barbel mecca of the middle Severn. Sunday evening saw a last ditch attempt on to keep my hopes of catching a barbel in every calendar month of the season                                                                  end prematurely.

Will I beat my river PB?
A better stamp of chub
So what now? Well, today is the 1st October, the pike angler's official opener. If the rivers remain clear then I see this as my best option. I would dearly love to catch a 20lb river pike after managing an 18lb 3oz two winters ago on the Warks Avon. A double figure zander would also be most welcome. If we do manage to see a rise in river levels then it would be nice to catch a barbel again having not managed one since the end of August.

No comments:

Post a Comment