An angler's journal

An angler's journal

Tuesday 5 March 2013

The end is nigh: a week to stop the rot!


It’s been a beautiful day today in Worcestershire and it really felt like spring was on its way, however it does look like a flash in the pan since we have rain forecast over the next day or so. The positive side to this is that temperatures seem to be rising and that of course will hopefully making fishing a little easier. What a frustrating a few weeks we’ve had. On a personal note, I’ve had a string of blanks fishing a river that’s been cold (about 3°C) and having the misfortune of timing my sessions to coincide with the worst of conditions. This is my first fishing season as a father and work seems to be manic at the moment meaning every planned session seems to get cancelled leaving me scratting around for opportunities at the wrong time.

I have realised it’s been a while since I last blogged and that’s simply because there has been so little to write about. I’m sure no one would find it exciting for me to detail my horrendous fishless run? However, I don’t think I’ve been alone in struggling this winter. It’s been pretty quiet chatting to fellow anglers that I’ve met and also on all the internet forums I frequent. People have simply stayed away or found it tough.

With just over a week left of the fishing season I do hope to be able to get out a few times before the window slams shut and my attentions turn elsewhere. With a bit of luck I will be able to make a trip to the Warwickshire Avon tomorrow evening and then I’m on the lower Severn on Saturday before another evening trip on the Avon during the final few days. I took the temperature of the Warwickshire Avon after work today to find it in the region of 5.5°C, which is an increase on last week’s 4°C, so the signs are encouraging. Fingers crossed I can finish the river season smiling.   

No comments:

Post a Comment