An angler's journal

An angler's journal

Wednesday 26 July 2023

Hunt for the next challenge

 A new season is upon us and we're at the end of July already. As I've got older, my fishing has been more about my own personal challenges and learning. I don't need to catch the most fish or even the biggest. There are rivers I could visit and no doubt obliterate my PB, but what would it prove?

A few years ago, I embarked on tackling a new stretch of the Warks Avon that had no real barbel form or history. Initially, the challenge was to prove barbel could be caught anywhere and not just from the popular venues. I managed this and caught consistently to prove it was no fluke. This had been as a result of tinkering with baits, baiting approaches and subtle presentation differences. I've worked out the most reliable locations and have caught from a number of swims along the stretch. I've now settled on a method that's proven reliable so the next challenge became about finding a double. A string of 10 pounders came my way but a decent double of 12 pound plus from the venue had eluded me until now. 

This year's glorious 16th June was anything but glorious with just a chub and bream to dampen my new season enthusiasm. A hot spell kept me off the river and then last week I found myself on an evening session. My tactics were my standard approach. One rod upstream with boilie and then another rod baited with pellet over a bed of feed. The boilie resulted in a chub and then a barbel of just under 9lb came to the pellet before a lull in activity. As dusk approached, anticipation increased. I was not concerned by the lack of activity. I'd rather this than chub plucks, which normally tell me barbel aren't active. When it's quiet but I know I'm in a good spot then I know a bite can appear from nowhere. True to form, without warning the rod ripped round and saw me connected to a barbel that stayed deep and plodded about mid-river. A few runs and the fish was netted. It was certainly a double and the thickness across its back told me this was more than ten pounds. 

A super Avon barbel of 12lb 6oz

The scales showed 12lb 6oz and was a real result on a stretch I've been fishing for a few years without it revealing its hidden gems. 

So, what next? I'd love a 13 pounder and this latest fish makes me believe that it might be a distinct possibility. One thing I have not worked out is where the fish go once November kicks in. My reliable spots go quiet and I've not caught a barbel from the stretch after October. I am sure this is the key to the really big fish as 12 pound summer barbel are certainly much bigger come the winter months. Another challenge I want to pursue is the barbel on the river Teme. It's been a while since I caught one but there's been some encouraging stories over the past 12 months for me want to rekindle this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment